Friday, March 23, 2012

What are those Symols on pre-packaged foods?

Maybe you already knew this.. I did not! so here it is really quick.. Have you seen a "u" that has a circle around it or a funny "k" symbol on the front? I had read on a post form something else that those symbols could indicate dairy. Well my chips I had bought had that "u" symbol and beside it said "dairy" so then I remembered that symbol meant dairy.. Then I noticed some other "o" symbols had "pareve" under or beside them.. So I had no idea what that meant.. Obviously I didn't know what the symbol meant to begin with.. I panicked thinking I bought a bunch of dairy items.. This evening I decided to google that symbol and this is what I found "guide to popular kosher symbols" Kosher symbols are registered trademarks of kosher certification organizations, and cannot be placed on a food label without the organization's permission. so that is why some look different than others! click that link above to see the symbols I am talking about!

Then on the last page (8 of 8) of that site you will read this:

Often there are letters or words printed next to the kosher certification symbol on food packages. These are added to inform the consumer of the product's kosher category. Kosher categories are Meat (Fleishig in Yiddish, Basari in Hebrew), Dairy (Milchig in Yiddish, Chalavi in Hebrew) or neither meat or dairy (Pareve in Yiddish, Parve in Hebrew). According to Jewish Dietary Laws, meat and dairy food must be prepared and consumed separately, and pareve food can be eaten with either meat or dairy dishes.Meat:"Meat", "M" or "Glatt" printed near the kosher symbol on the food package indicates the product is kosher and contains some meat or meat derivative.
Dairy:"Dairy" or "D" printed near the kosher symbol on the food package indicates the product is kosher and contains some milk or milk derivative.
Fish:"F" printed near the kosher symbol on the food package indicates the product is kosher and contains fish ingredients.
Pareve:"Pareve", "Parev", or "Parve" printed near the kosher symbol on the food package indicates the item is neither meat or dairy.
Passover:"P" printed near the kosher symbol on the food package does not stand for pareve, but instead it means the product is kosher for Passover and all year round.
Furthermore, D-P means dairy and kosher for Passover and all year round. M-P or Glatt-P means meat and kosher for Passover and all year round. F-P means fish and kosher for Passover and all year round.
SO PAREVE means free of Dairy and Meat! Just remember a "P" is for passover not pareve!
here are two pictures to show as an example.. I bought both of these not realizing at the time one had dairy.



No comments:

Post a Comment