Friday, March 23, 2012

Day one of a Dairy, Egg, Soy, Nut Free life!

Day One! ( <~see that excitement it soon fades..) So I woke up and had some oatmeal and fruit.. Fixed my coffee with out cream. And decided to go to the Whole foods Store. I started to do this solo, but then thought it may be fun for My husband (and kids) to come along so he could help me with label reading and make choices with me.. 1. I don't know what I was thinking going in with out much research, 2. I don't know what I was thinking going in with out a list to go by and 3. I seriously don't know what I was thinking taking to hungry kids (this was about 5:30 in the afternoon) not to mention Justus desperately needed a nap. They asked for everything kept switching buggies, wanted with me one minute and my husband the next! (this is life and normally I handle it very well but I was on a mission and had to concentrate!)
Honestly (and don't laugh!!) I thought I would walk into that grocery store and there would be a huge sign that read "allergy free foods all on this Isle" maybe not exactly that but something.. SO now I am going down every Isle looking and trying to read Everything! I would be at one end of the store one minute and realize I wanted something on the opposite side! I also thought tree nuts were safe, so I bought some frozen pecan bread and some almond butter.. I found muffins, bread and bagels made by Udi's.. I got some vegan cheese that was cheddar flavor and then saw the swiss flavor with out looking I grabbed it as well. I bought a couple different bags of chips. I went down the flour/baking Isle and was overwhelmed by all the Bob's Red Mill products that I just grabbed somethings! I got Gluten Free All Purpose Flour, GFree pizza crust, GFree Biscuit and Pancake mix, and xanthan gum (which apparently is a thickener of some sort!)
We also bought other produce and I had a coupon for a whole chicken (which I promise you, I have never cooked a whole chicken! I had at least seen my mom prepare one so I knew it needed cleaned out! and thank goodness my mom gave me an electric pressure cooker last week because that 4lb bird was cooked in about 25 minutes! after my long shopping trip I didn't not want to be in the kitchen forever.) I found the "recipe" for the chicken here, and I made sure my chicken stock was free of all the things it needed to be, I also added a few spices.

So as I stood in a very quiet kitchen and had a clear mind, I started to unload all my groceries.. I got these chips that were "allergy" free and even though I thought I had checked the ingredients I had totally missed dairy.. There was actually a little symbol on the front and beside it clearly said "dairy" I will blog about that next.. It will be a short post, I promise! Trying not to get frustrated I thought No big deal, the kids can totally eat these.. Then I noticed that same symbol on some other things and thought that meant Dairy as well.. I was about to cry.. seriously! (don't worry I realized tonight that the symbol I was seeing did not mean dairy! look forward to the next post)
I got out the cheese and the cheddar was perfect but the swiss flavored that I had assumed was made the same way had casein in it.. (milk protein!) again, the kids will eat it.. chin up, don't stress! Now I have learned that Nuts are a No as well, so my pecan bread is a big No and my beloved Almond butter I will miss while I breast feed Ian.. however once he is done, I will be so excited to eat that again! Until then, my 5 year old is so excited that I bought it! she could eat it all by itself!
Today I was eating my bagel made by Udi's and thought I would check out there website.. Wondering if they had a coupon.. (they do, just click on a product and you can sign up and they give you $1.00 0ff) I clicked a product and in bold I read "Contains EGGS" What! NO! Really, this can't be! the bag says Gluten Soy Dairy Nut Free... Well I assumed Egg was dairy.. and i was wrong! :/ I thought I would be sad about this discovery however each item was about 5.00.. so 15.00 for bread.. not sure if it was worth it.. and even though the flours and all are expensive, I thought i could make my own bread using the stuff I bought.. I came across this bread recipe , and it sounded awesome.. However I do not have all those flours right now.. (I do plan on getting them) SO I made my own recipe using hers as a guide.. and it turned out Amazing! I will post mine tomorrow! My husband and kids liked it as well! Ansley had it with Coconut spread! :)

In all at the end of day one, I felt so Lost! And probably still will for a little while.. But I am getting the hang of it! I will try to post somethings tomorrow that I have been eating so far.. I am feeling like I have more energy as well. I can't wait to see how I feel in a few weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment