Saturday, March 24, 2012

Needing something Healthy yet Sweet to Eat? Smoothies!

Before going Dairy, Soy, Egg, Nut Free I would eat Greek yogurt daily! I love that stuff! And I had started making smoothies with it as well. My second day of the allergy free diet I was craving a smoothie and thankfully, my Publix Greenwise magazine had came in! (these are free when you go to publix website and sign up!) The first thing I turned to was "Green Smoothies".. I thought about it for a second and concocted my own Allergy free Smoothie. So I go tout the blender and I threw in some banana, frozen strawberries and fresh pineapple we had cut the day before, and a little honey to sweeten it.. then about 1 cup of crushed ice and poured a little plain coconut milk into the mix. I blended it all up and poured it into a glass.. As I drank my Really Good Smoothie I read the article about Green Smoothies.. and Decided I would need to try that as well.. My family and I made our first Green Smoothie to "kick off" the first day of spring.. (the day we made them was not actually the first day, but the kids didn't know that! I had let the first day go by with out notice.. Spring is our favorite because it is Garden Season for us!)

The Arthur of the article is with Gerry Coffey a 72 year old triathlete that discovered Green Smoothies 10 Years ago from food guru Victoria Boutenko. The Arthur also tells about the book by Boutenko- Green For Life. Boutenko or Gerry one Suggested to start with leafs that are not bitter like fresh spinach leaves or romain and later try fresh kale, turnip greens, and aruglia. Also don't include the stems of the stronger leafs, it will make your smoothie have a peppery taste. "Flavor is Everything. But No matter how healthy something may be, you wont stick with it if it doesn't taste good. Starting out don't make your smoothies Super Green. Sim for a ratio of about 60% fruit and 40% greens, but let your taste buds guide you to the ratio that works best for you." "I encourage everybody to go at their own pace." Boutenko says.  (she didn't say anything about the coconut milk or milk at all but i thought it sounded good!)
(the above is mostly from the Green Wise Magazine.. in case you don't get that issue! I had to share that part and give the right person credit for the info!) The article also talks about how nutritious greens are!! :)
We had just planted our spinach so my husband didn't want to take all the leaves! So Ours wasn't super green.. However it was yummy and the kids drank it up! I will be making these often!


 Spinach, frozen apples I had chopped the day before, frozen strawberries, frozen banana that had been chopped earlier, (also there was fresh pineapple in the refridgerator I almost forgot, you will see it in the blender on top of the ice, some honey, and coconut milk.. If I knew my husband wouldn't mind the milled flax texture I would have added a scoop of it as well.

Ansley and my Husband adding the fresh spinach!
Justus adding the Strawberries!



They ended up with their own glass.. And then asked for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment